Spectacle woes; they are approximately 2cm crooked. It bothered me at first, but now it just seems natural. Natural that I would screw up looking hip or cool. My glasses are a little euro(kindof alternateen I hear), and in combo with the haircut I gave myself last week, I look German. Straight up. Everyone thinks I'm German. I saw myself in a mirrored column at the grocery store; aaaaand its true.
The haircut's pretty hot though. For the record.
Last Friday I went to the Marrakesh American School for an 'interview'. It was pretty informal, but I got to see the elementary school campus and meet the directors. I went to a softball game at the Rabat American School a few weeks ago and was overwhelmed by their team spirit. Curran said it right: "they're too 'America, fuck yea!!'" Their campus is California-American meets tropical. Pretty swank, but not very Moroccan. They've got an international student body made up of a lot of ambassador's kids from all over the world. Which, admittedly, is cool. Negatively, however, the Moroccan kids in attendance seem to miss out on a lot of their own culture. The Marrakesh American School seems on the surface to have conquered that and the building itself is Moroccan as well as 80% of the student body and staff. It seemed really nice, and it was great to see, but I'm not taking the job.
I called today to politely decline and had a 30second long conversation with their director, who didn't seem shocked or really, to care at all. Done, life decision made.
But the ALC (school I work for) in Tetuan (which I just learned is pronounced TetAOuen) is looking for a native speaker for the fall, because they have none. Their director, Mark, and I have been exchanging emails all week, I need to go to Tetuan again though. I was only their for a few days on spring break and though I had a great time, and even went to the hammam, I need a better look.
Its in the mountains in northern morocco about an hour and a half outside Tangier. The downside of this is that there are fewer foreigners there than here in Marrakesh. Fewer by a lot. I've been told that people up north are more reserved than in Marrakesh and that it could be harder to make friends. Making friends here is sort of like being a 5 year old in McDonald's.
So I'm dropping everything and heading up to Tetuan/Tangier tomorrow. Maybe I'll finish Brothers Karamazov on the train...it is moving SLOWLY.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment