I've been in Tetouan since wednesday. I'm teaching a Beginning 2 class from 9-12 for ten days. This means that I am a) these student's second english teacher ever and b) trying extra-hard not to dick around with our time.
So far, so good. I have both teenagers and the smallest 11 year olds in north africa in my class. Their names are Shoqi and Saad. Saad prefers playing computer solitaire to just about everything and Shoqi is probably the best student in class and claims that I'm 500 years old. His feet don't touch the ground when he sits down.
Vanessa took the famed overnight from Kesh to Tangier in regular second class. Which is a gamble. Because one has to sleep agressively to avoid new passengers flooding the space you currently occupy. It also helps to be foreign, but not much. She lucked out and got a semi-full car (max cap. is generally 8, +/- 3children) and slept comfortably fetally curled until she finally needed to stretch out her legs. A few minutes later she noticed her pants, socks and shoes were wet with human urine. The man across from her, that sleeping baby, had peed his pants.
So she showed up to Tetouan around 10 in a "Marrakesh" tshirt and peed-on pants.
Her trip: monopoly, sandwiches, naps, a long walk out of Tetouan up an adjacent mountainside, me almost flipping over the monopoly board when she started giving away properties for no reason to everyone but me.
It was fun and I miss her.
She's now back in Marrakesh, having traveled the overnight again, this time safely in a couchette (sleeper car).
Adriana got to town just in time to walk up said hillside with us. We played monopoly last night (which I won!!! I owned everything!!! First time EVER.) and today, my single morning off, we made pancakes from scratch, lurked around the unfurnished apartment and eventually made our way to the beach near the Sofitel hotel between Ceuta and Mdiq. Where we waited, hopelessly trying to catch a grand taxi with thirty other people on the side of the highway. Luckily an empty SUV stopped to pick up some stragglers and Adriana's arabic won us a ride from Marinasmir to Mdiq where we waited and battled yet more hords of people elbowing their way into the first available taxi, seemingly controlled by a man with an ineffective whistle. I went to Mdiq a few nights ago with Sawsan, Brahim and Adam for barbequed sardines at the port and on our way back we experienced similar spectacles of barbary; namely we ran from some guys smashing beer bottles on eachother's heads and helped pull a grand taxi out of a terrible accident.
I managed, by the grace of god and some offensive elbowing, to get us into a taxi while Adriana protected us from a pickpocketer. I actually had to push an older woman out of the way to do this, which was more like a survival reflex than an act of aggression.
Tomorrow's Plan
"You dont have to do this if you dont want to...but tomorrow, between like 5 and 7, lets stand outside the mosque-I'm-researching-but-can't-enter-because-I'm-not-muslim and try to convince people to go in and take pictures for me."
"Sweet. But I'd like to fit in some hamam, my skin is coming off. "
No comments:
Post a Comment