It's gonna be a busy week.

We have to move this weekend. Luckily my things are few enough that I could carry them on my back if I had to. With great strain and constant readjusting, but I could do it. One, maybe two pairs of Nikes would have to be sacrificed for the greater good.
Anyway, a donkey cart or something is going to cart the majority of our goods away come saturday/sunday to a bleak apartment in Gueliz where Vanessa will remain and I, recently unemployed but visa renewed, will sleep for a few days. Maybe.
I'm waiting on the go-ahead from the director of the Tetuan school to move up there to teach starting the 1st. I am also waiting on one of the teachers there to either accept or reject my proposal to live with him. He's relatively new in the country and I offered to do a lot of cooking. He's also muslim and may not want to ruin his clean moroccan reputation with the neighbors by cohabitating with a 'lady'.
That's right, I called myself a lady.

So, I don't have a plane ticket yet. I'm waiting on said plans to either open up a two week world of fun and learning for me or fall through with a resounding thud. In any event, I'll either be home by the end of June or, preferably, mid-July.

I'm already starting to feel nostalgic about leaving --I almost cried during Narnia just thinking about it. About one day ago I got here in a frenzy of rain, potholes, muddy streets and winter-chill. Now Morocco is no longer shocking to me and Vanessa and I must part. Weird. Not to mention Latifa, who is being deserted by both of us. She spent most of her day on our computer talking to some guy in Casablanca on msn and researching exchange programs in the states. She's a 21 yo moroccan university student but she's so unprepared for american university. We really are deserting her and it feels horrible. Vanessa I'm not so worried about because our paths managed to cross in Morocco, so I feel confident that we'll manage it again. But I just can't afford to fly to Morocco every year; what will become of Latifa?

No comments: