So I just read this article about how Africans pay 90x more than americans for 1gb of internet info. That's pretty jacked. But reading about the meager percentage of africans with internet access I was like, whoa, I wonder how this compares to certain disease rates. AND THEN, I reminded myself of how important information systems like TV and Internet are in Morocco. Now I'm wondering which is more important, Interweb or tv. In an ill-advised decision I reopened the 'civilized' debate with Matt (see: Trip to Spain) over harira last night, and then we re-reopened it at three am in a cab back from techno-haven-Theatro when I, lightly sauced, admitted to having spent the earlier part of the evening brooding and researching the many ways to define civilization.
We had houseguests, they were fun, they left this morning. I've made a lot of new moroccan friends, strangely they are more 'american' than me. Our gentlemen guests wanted to hit the Marrakesh club scene so I relied solely on Safa for direction. Theatro is kindof like a french/arab crobar. Complete with flossy men in angel suits with inflatable wings. And prostitutes. And men with their shirts unbuttoned. And nine dollar budweisers (sorry, Jason.)
We're going to Jemmalfna for eggplantbrother tea, but we've gotta go now, while we've got Latifa convinced to walk. Because she is the laziest girl on the planet.
1 comment:
Woohoo! Arabic writing skills!
The writing came slowly for me, but what did come overnight were the awzaan (the verb forms.) I read Wright's grammar on it, and he gave a bunch of examples in Aramaic, and then I went to sleep and the next morning, bam! I knew 'em.
Also, I appreciate any and all use of the word interweb.
Post a Comment