I came here for the hot sex, but I'm staying for the tacos

The 9pm from Marrakesh and the 6am from Rabat are My trains. At around midnight on saturday I sat in another dark car full of older moroccan men text messaging Matt and Summy and absently playing with a roach with my shoe. By roach, I mean small disease carrying insect. The trains are basically swarming with them, basically. They're smaller here than in the states though, and so have become less and less 'gross' the longer I'm here, the more trains I ride. They probably climb on me when I sleep, but I'm like "whatevs," because I live in africa, yo. And because H5N1 is inching it's way across the continent and I have four birds living in my house. Shit, I've got better things to worry about than a few roaches crawling in my drooling mouth...(See: I didn't get my hep. vaccine)
Lately the birds opperate as Silver Fish control. They are EVERYWHERE. I just sit on the couch and watch the babies pluck them up one after one - a job we intended for the chameleons, may they rest in peace.
Tell me why we gotta say don't let this feeling go away. It is totally possible to find a Best of Against Me! record in Morocco provided you've got the right connections.
We're all scrambling to assemble next year's plans. Do we stay? Do we go? You gotta let me knnnnooooooowww. That was a bad joke, I am aware of that. But it's a real concern. Everyone I talked to is a little shaky on the details of their return to the US and I'm included. Despite all recent homesickness I think I could sweat it out here another year, if only because I'm already here and I'd rather not return with only a half-assed hold on Derrija and a few hundred photos. Teaching's fun but I don't think I'm ready to put in the time and work as a 4th grade teacher at the American School. What I need is a 'research grant' and fast!
Otherwise, Chicago's home.
But if I stay, I'm gonna need some bike parts; it's time to rebuild.

2 comments:

James said...

I liked your bad joke.
<3

AV said...

my parents are coming to visit in june. if you need bike parts, let me know. we could put in an order at performance and have my parents bring 'em.
i need new tires and tubes, but nothing major.