Last week one of my classes was video-taped for the sake of "observation". There was a bit of an uproar surrounding this since two of five new teachers refused to be filmed on the grounds that they would be "distracted by their pimples" when watching it. One such teacher couldn't even articulate the horror she would feel, which I find highly suspicious. The point of the observation is for us to be able to see ourselves in class and for our directors or a peer to watch it with us with some critical analysis. Not a bad idea, right? We were even given permission to destroy the recording immediately after watching it. Ritualistically and with verve.
Admittedly, it's a little nerveracking to know that you're going to be judged by your performance for one hour in a class that takes almost two hours - and furthermore, that this is a representation for your teaching on the whole.
Luckily, as is my habit, by the time my scheduled observation came I had forgotten about it entirely. I didn't experience any of the fear or anxiety that comes with impending doom or imagined failure. Nor any of the meticulous preparation or forethought that comes with imminent adjudication. Nonetheless, I feel a surprise attack is more effective than one where all parties are informed and prepared, for I should be teaching every class expertly, not just the ones being video-taped.
This afternoon I had Vanessa watch the wretched thing with me, for I have no interest in the vanity or potential mind-numbing of watching myself alone by myself.
Overall, not-a-failure. She had a few pointers for me, things like not parroting the students, but she says I'm doing okay. Great, even.
I'll be watching and discussing this again later this week with between one and three of the administrators(read: bosses). They've suggested that we hold on to our observation videos for our 'dossier' (presumably for future employers,) but I figure I'll get the most mileage out of mine as entertainment for my friends. Especially enjoyable is the part where a student says:
"That's a picture of a cowboy and an Indian"
and I say:
"No, that's a pilgrim. Cowboys weren't invented yet."
As though I ever needed more fodder on which to be ridiculed. Dossier.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment