Live the dream

This shit's kinda fucked up right?
Google's Chinese search engine omits sites about human rights, Tibet and anything anti-regime. Today I totally got all my news from wired.

Ok, so I know you speak English, but this is important. This is maybe the only important thing you will ever read in French. [I knowingly exclude Laserwolf's study-abroad journal which is a fictional chronicle of a Depaul student written to fulfill an academic requirement AND cover-up the truth. The former is full of stories about "totally getting wasted on red wine" and "bike rides in the country", where as the latter is just a list of European male names and too many references linking Oliver Cromwell to the referendum.]
So if you've chosen to speak French, check out Choumicha. Choumicha who is a Moroccan cooking celebrity and the Oprah equivalent. Kristen, our Fulbright's part-time roommate, has gotten the first good idea of the year; Choumicha should host a book club. One would think that busting this sort of idea on a big time North African celebrity would be tough, like the contact would be hard, many assistants, managers. But no! She has done it and with great ease!! Choumicha approves and Kristen has already lined up NGO and Government supporters. Morocco has a 50-60% literacy rate depending on the source and though employment is rising, it's still only projected at around 80%. This proactivity excites me and reminds me why I'm here.

It has been a somewhat tumultuous week. Jetlag, or the fabled culture-shock, may have hit me. Or perhaps i just woke up one day and realized what I had done. I have been thinking while im sleeping and when i awake my body feels beaten and bruised. Teaching is not doing this to me, i do not often fight my students. often. Drink doesnt make the sleep come and though I could spend the whole night reading, bad sleep is better than no sleep. But when i awake, I feel i've wasted those hours tossing and turning. There is a singular reason why I might have stayed and it wet my eyes for a few days. I cursed that this was self imposed.

Otherwise, school has been great this week. Thursday's class showed that I have finally found comfort in teh classroom and that I can be honest while playing teacher. And I taught my students the verb "to punch".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello,
Please visit my weblog . and leave yor comments . let's help each other in teaching English by sharing our experiences.
waiting for your articles and comments.
Yours
H.Hajihassani
www.hajihassani.blogspot.com