While I was doubled trying not to dryheave today, Dad came home from work early to nurse me back to health. What this really meant was that he brought me jack in the box and we hung out in the living room together finishing the second half of Lynch's Wild at Heart, kindly brought to us by Tivo. It's no Blue Velvet, but it's pretty good. Most notably Willem Defoe is great with teeth more fucked up than usual and our favorite bluesman/renegade fishing buff John Lurie has a cameo. I am elated by the latter, He's one of my new favorite geniuses.
Back to Dad.
He's been great, really great, and whats more, funny. I called him at work to let him know I have the bird flu, and that I might die. To tell you the truth, its gotten quite lonely being sick around the house, I demand attention both from my father and nurse-gramma.
Dad came home, after I tried to eat he 'put me down for a nap', which mostly meant that i got tired of having stomach cramps in front of the tv, and moved to my fluffy bed instead. As I was getting settled, sending text messages under the covers, he opened the door,
"I got something for you, since you've been sick i thought you might need it"
and lo, my father had thrown chap stick at me. Which I DID need! So badly! "dad, how did you know?!"
In retrospect, im pretty sure he knew because my lips were cracked and bleeding the last day or two...but i prefer to believe its just his innate-dadness deep inside him, telling him what his ailing daughter thirsted.
Further inspection revealed that he had not just gotten me any chapstick, he got me "Turkey and Gravy" flavored chapstick. And certainly it is. So much so that it is almost distracting. Man, that guy is great, so thoughtful and weird.
Tomorrow he has the day off, which means we will christmas shop and hopefully have cheese steaks for lunch. if i can stomach it.
I really hope I can.
Having grown up compared to my mother constantly, mostly because of our uncanny looks, I am still shocked and in awe of the many ways my father and I are alike. Most of them. Even some of our secret thoughts are the same.
It sounds corny, but I'm still amazed.
Our parents are real people?
Our parents are real people.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
dude. our grandparents are real people, too. my grandma was just in the hospital and i spent the day with her. i could tell her lips were dry and i fished around my purse for the new blistex i had just bought a family dollar the day before. i showed it to her (she cant really hear if i asked her if she needed it) and her eyes were like YES! she was like "i always forget to tell Jovita (my aunt) to pick some of this up." so i stuck it in her gown pocket for safe keeping after she put some on. strangely enough, i have never felt so helpful. where did your pa score tukey and gravy stick? we need to meet. feel better darling.
Post a Comment